History of the Connecticut Judicial Seal Home Home BannerBanner

Case Look-up Courts Directories Educational Resources E-Services Juror Information Online Media Resource Center Opinions Opportunities Self-Help Frequently Asked Questions Home Attorneys Espanol menu






















Family Forms
Filing an Application for a Restraining Order

Disclaimer: The information on this web page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Connecticut Judicial Branch. It is not intended as legal advice to any person.

If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.

Due to the changing nature of the law, the forms and information found on this web site will change from time to time. It is up to you to follow the current procedures and to file the correct, up-to-date forms.

Each court location has a Clerk's Office and many locations also have a Court Service Center that can give you help and information about court procedures. Please note, however, that Clerk's Office and Court Service Center personnel cannot provide you with legal advice.

These instructions are to help you represent yourself in court. Legal words and court documents can be confusing. The more you know, the more comfortable you will be when you fill out the necessary court forms and come to court. These instructions will give you some useful information and instructions on filling out the necessary forms.

Every case is different and this instruction sheet is to be used as a guide only; if you think you need more help you may want to get an attorney. You can also go to a Court Service Center or contact the Connecticut Network for Legal AidExternal Link - You are leaving the Connecticut Judicial Branch websiteor find additional information at the Law Libraries. Court staff can answer procedural questions and help you understand the legal process, but cannot give you legal advice.

To apply for a Restraining Order you have to fill out the following 2 forms:

If you are seeking temporary custody of children, you must also fill out an:

The person who fills out the Application for Relief From Abuse is called the “Applicant”. The person the Application is filed is called the “Respondent.” There are no court fees for the Application.

Once you finish your paperwork, you must take it to the Clerk’s office. Do not sign these forms until you are in front of a court clerk or a notary public. The Application and Affidavit will be reviewed by a Judge. Once the Judge makes a decision on your Application, the Clerk’s Office will process the papers and return them to you. The date you have to come back to court for your hearing will be on the order form. The paperwork must be given immediately to a State Marshal, so that he or she may deliver the paperwork to the Respondent. You will be given a State Marshal Commission form to fill out called the Restraining Order Service Instructions/Profile (SMC-1). This form helps the State Marshal find the Respondent. The Clerk’s Office or the Court Service Center can give you a list of State Marshals. At certain court locations, a State Marshal will be at the courthouse at specific times during the day to help you with getting the papers delivered to the Respondent.

If your Application was granted, be sure to keep a copy of the paperwork with you at all times and keep another copy in a safe place. The court will send a copy of the order to the police department.

You must be in court on the date of the hearing if you want the court to give you a restraining order or, if the court already gave you a temporary restraining order, to keep it in place. The respondent may also be in court. If you think you need more security when you are in court for your restraining order hearing, contact the Clerk's Office or the Court Service Center in the court where your hearing is scheduled.

On the day of your hearing be sure to come to court early because it can take 10 to 20 minutes to get into the courthouse since everyone must go through a metal detector. Be sure to bring copies of your forms and any evidence to support your claim. Go to your assigned courtroom and wait for instructions. If you are not sure where to go, check with the Clerk’s Office or Court Service Center.

The orders are usually good for six months after the hearing, but the judge can decide to make the orders good for a longer or shorter amount of time. You should contact the police department immediately if the Respondent violates any order issued.




Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQ's | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Policies and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2013, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch